I never was good at this game.
As a matter of fact, I was terrible.
Apparently I get lost in 3d worlds like this, and I get dizzy and need to lie down. Something about these kinds of 3d virtual worlds. At least it doesn’t pertain to virtual machines.
While browsing around, I came across the source code. From their notes they built the thing using:
- Watcom C/C++, version 9.5
- Microsoft Macro Assembler, version 6.1x
- Opus Make, version 6.01
I was unable to find Opus Make, however with a little bit of tweaking, Microsoft nmake can happily read the makefiles. The other small snag largely was due to MS-DOS not being able to process massive commandlines, and having to build response files to the librarian and linker in various parts. But all in all it was thankfully a trivial amount of work to get a working executable.
I only tested it for a few minutes until I was feeling out of it again. I guess it isn’t surprising, I had issues when it was full screen back in 1994, but in a tiny window in 2013 it is unbearable.
For the two or three people who care, here is my VMDK that I used. It works fine with Qemu probably other emulators that can read VMDK’s.